Gainsborough: A 16-year-old boy will be sentenced in the new year after admitting to stabbing a teenage girl at a bus stop

A 16-year-old boy will be sentenced in the New Year after he admitted wounding a teenage girl at a bus stop in Gainsborough.

Friday, 19th December 2014, 2:44 pm
Scene of stabbing at Gainsborough bus station
Scene of stabbing at Gainsborough bus station

The youth, who can not be named for legal reasons, also pleaded guilty to having a kitchen knife in Heaton Street, Gainsborough.

He appeared at Lincoln Crown Court this morning, Friday 19th December, wearing a grey top and black trousers.

During the ten minute hearing he entered guilty pleas to two charges of unlawful wounding and having an offensive weapon.

Both offences relate to the incident in Heaton Street, Gainsborough, on 23rd September, when a teenage girl suffered a 1cms superficial laceration to her back.

The victim required a small number of stitches in her back and was released from hospital later the same day, the court was told. The boy later claimed “he didn’t try very hard.”

Phil Howes, prosecuting, said the nature of the medical evidence had allowed the Crown Prosecution Service to accept a plea to a charge of unlawful wounding rather than the more serious offence of wounding with intent.

Michael Cranmer-Brown, mitigating, asked for sentence to be adjourned on the boy for the preparation of a youth offending report.

Mr Cranmer-Brown told the court: “I certainly ask for a report in this case and I am sure the court will want one.”

“He had never been in trouble before. It was a set of unusual circumstances. There was no grievance with the victim in this case.”

Recorder John Butterfield QC agreed to the adjournment but told the boy he was making no promises as regard to sentence.

Recorder Butterfield told him: “You have pleaded guilty in a way the Crown accept. What happens next is you need to be sentenced.”

“I will adjourn sentence for the preparation of report by the youth offending team.”

The boy was remanded in to the custody of the local authority until he is sentenced at the end of January.