Former Worksop care worker used old uniform to steal from vulnerable OAP

editorial image

A former Worksop care worker used her old uniform to gain the confidence of a vulnerable pensioner and steal his wallet, a court heard.

Vickie Leech, formerly of Tenby Grove, Worksop, conned an elderly couple into letting her into their home where the offence happened on June 9, the court was told.

The court heard 43-year-old Leech, who admitted burglary, had worked for a Worksop care firm which provides companionship care and domestic assistance.

She had worked with the couple in their 80s and knew they were susceptible to being targeted by unscrupulous callers.

Leech left the firm in February, but kept her uniform, which she wore when she called at their home.

Another carer from the firm had visited the couple to be told a wallet had gone missing.

The company was told one of their workers had called to visit the couple and told them she was there to update their care plan.

Leech stayed there for four minutes – but the couple’s son had installed a CCTV camera which recorded her visit.

When police visited Leech’s home they found the wallet and uniform and Leech admitted what she had done.

Leech was given a two-year suspended prison sentence and a community order with 180 hours of unpaid work and an activity requirement for 15 days.

The director of the care firm, who declined to be named, said: “This man and woman were vulnerable.

“She was suffering from severe dementia and they have been through such a lot.”

She described the man’s life as a daily battle and said the couple had lost thousands of pounds because people called at their house and conned them into parting with money.

She said: “Leech was an experienced carer and had a clear disclosure check when she came to us.

“She worked in the office with us and was fully aware of the situation of her victims.

“I felt so guilty that one of my ex-staff would do something like this – it was all premeditated.

“She worked with the company for 18 months and left in February, but kept one of our uniforms.

“The woman’s son sent us a picture of her but we didn’t recognise her until the CCTV was checked and you could hear her.

“I was devastated.”