It was a shock this week to discover just how many people in Worksop are putting their lives at risk by not fitting smoke alarms in their homes.
Firefighters have told us that almost half the properties they were called out to in the past year in the area did not have working smoking alarms.
Bassetlaw district has also seen a 10 per cent increase in the number of house fires since 2013, with firefighters called 48 blazes in the last nine months alone - more than anywhere else in the county.
Understandably, fire chiefs in Worksop are appalled by these statistics and have spoken to the Guardian this week to urge Worksop folk to stop playing ‘Russian roulette’ with their lives, and the lives of their family.
Our firefighters come face to face with the consequences of house blazes on a daily basis.
Even when people are fortunate enough to escape from them completely unharmed, they face losing their treasured possessions in a matter of seconds.
And we have seen plenty of these stories in the Guardian over recent months - including a family in Rhodesia who narrowly escaped with their lives when their computer caught fire while they slept.
Thanks to the fact their smoke alarm had been checked, the family managed to escape to safety - a lesson to us all.
Many house blazes could very simply be prevented by installing a smoke alarm and doing regular checks to ensure it is in working order.
Smoke alarms are not expensive and could be the difference between life and death.