Drunk teenager abused officer giving first aid to assault victim

A drunken teenager who abused police and tried to take photographs of them as they helped an unconscious man has avoided a jail sentence.

Mansfield Magistrates Court
Mansfield Magistrates Court

Danny David Severn, 19, of Redcliffe Street, Sutton, then headbutted one of the officers when they tried to arrest him.

Appearing at Mansfield Magistrates’ Court, he admitted a charge of being drunk and disorderly and assaulting a police officer, although claimed the headbutt was accidental.

The officers were tending to a person who was left unconscious on the floor on Leeming Street on the evening of November 29, but were subject to abuse by those around them, including Severn.

He even put his mobile phone in front of their faces and told them to “smile for the camera”, before swearing at them.

When the officers tried to detain Severn, he struggled and the officer claimed the teenager then lifted his head back and thrusted it forward so his forehead made contact with the officer’s nose.

Mitigating, Morgan Hogarth said his client had been out in the town drinking and had witnessed the assault which left a person unconscious on the floor.

He said Severn had tried to help the person and when the police arrived they wanted him out of the way.

Mr Hogarth said: “He took exception to that.”

The court was told how Severn had never been in trouble before and it was the first time that he had appeared before a court.

After requesting a report by probation, they said that Severn had showed remorse for his actions, accepted that he used abusive language and that his behaviour had not been acceptable.

Before sentencing, the magistrates said: “This is very serious, it was in drink and in the town centre .

“You were verbally abusive and interfering with officers trying to carry out their duty and administer first aid.”

He was given a 12-month community order with 60 hours unpaid work .

As part of the order, he was given four weeks’ electronic tag curfew to remain at home on Friday and Saturday night between the hours of 10pm and 7am.

In addition, he was made to pay £50 compensation to the officer he headbutted and £235 in costs.