No arrests yet over funeral for man and friend killed in M1 crash near Worksop

Police have confirmed that no arrests have been made over a funeral procession for friends who were from killed in a horror crash on the M1 near Worksop.

Friday, 7th May 2021, 3:50 pm
Updated Friday, 7th May 2021, 4:03 pm

Officers are investigating reports of anti-social behaviour during the procession for Sheffield men Tyrone Forde, aged 22, who was also known in Shirebrook and Jordan Caster, 19 made up of at least 60 cars, motorbikes and quads as mourners made their way through the city to Shiregreen Cemetery last week.

The procession started in Bolsover and flares were lit, engines were revved and horns were sounded as it snaked its way through to Sheffield.

Read More

Read More
Reveller walked from Doncaster to Worksop for lockdown street party
L-R: Jordan Caster and Tyrone Forde died in a collision on the M1.

There was a huge turn out as heartbroken friends and relatives accompanied the men on their final journey together following their tragic deaths in a collision on the M1 last month.

They were killed when the car they were travelling in – a white Volkswagen Golf – left the carriageway, hit a barrier and a number of trees before overturning and landing on its roof.

South Yorkshire Police said the procession ‘attracted numerous drivers behaving anti-socially’.

Traffic officers are appealing for witnesses to come forward and they want to hear from anyone with dash cam or CCTV footage.

The force said the procession took around three hours to reach Shiregreen Cemetery and while en-route ‘a number of vehicles’ including high performance sports cars hired specifically for the funeral were seen blocking junctions, driving into oncoming traffic and across roundabouts.

Occupants were seen hanging out of windows and some drivers were spotted travelling along pavements.

Sergeant Matt Duffy said: “This funeral was a result of a tragic accident which sadly cost two young men their lives.

"People were there that day to pay their respects and commemorate the lives of their loved ones.

“However, the manner of driving demonstrated by a handful of those attending meant that they not only posed a risk to themselves, but to other members of the procession and members of the public on route.

"Our call handlers received a number of calls from people reporting instances of dangerous driving and concerns for the welfare of other road users.

“Our job is to reduce road accidents and educate drivers how to drive safely, and we are now appealing for information as part of this inquiry.”

In these confusing and worrying times, local journalism is more vital than ever. Thanks to everyone who helps us ask the questions that matter by taking out a subscription or buying a paper. Sam Jackson, editor.