Man seen "storming along the pavement with intensity" in Mansfield Woodhouse before punching victim

A Notts man who launched an unprovoked attack on a partially blind man and accidentally scarred him for life has been sentenced at the crown court.

By Tim Cunningham
Thursday, 10th December 2020, 3:43 pm

Christopher Foreman was seen "storming along the pavement with intensity" on Debdale Lane, in Mansfield Woodhouse, at 7pm, on July 19, said prosecutor Rebecca Coleman.

He punched the man once in the face and the pair scuffled and fell. His victim's right cheek was ruptured by a metal girder that was half-hidden in the grass verge.

Foreman fled the scene, but his victim received 35 stitches at the QMC Hospital.

Debdale Lane, Mansfield Woodhouse.

In a statement, the man said he was left with a scar which is expected to be permanent and affected his smile.

He has been losing weight and became reclusive after feeling unable to see his children, Ms Coleman said.

Text messages revealed Foreman's victim had accused him of having a sexual relationship with a woman and hacking his email account.

He was on bail at the time following an incident at the home of his former partner, on Broxtowe Lane, on January 24.

Police were called when Foreman grabbed the woman by her throat and brandished a kitchen knife after being asked to leave.

Foreman, who failed to attend court on July 15, has 16 previous convictions for 24 offences, five of which are violent. He was last in court in March 2014 for a public order offence when he received a suspended sentence.

Steve Ramsell, mitigating, said Foreman's behaviour was fuelled by drink after he spiralled into depression. There were issues in his relationship, he said, and a friend died while he was working away on an oil rig.

He was the victim of a violent robbery in Europe, injured at work in January, and made redundant just before the summer. While on remand in prison, he won praise for breaking up a fight, Mr Ramsell added.

Foreman, 35, of Lansbury Road, Edwinstowe, pleaded guilty to unlawful wounding, affray and two counts of battery.

On Thursday, Judge Stuart Rafferty QC told him: “You hit him once and it’s not suggested that blow caused any injury.”

He sentenced him to 18 months, suspended for two years, with an 18-month community order and 30 rehabilitation days to address his anger issues.

In these confusing and worrying times, local journalism is more vital than ever. Thanks to everyone who helps us ask the questions that matter by taking out a subscription or buying a paper. We stand together. Nancy Fielder, editor.