Jordan Sinnott murder: Police reassure Retford residents amid probe into footballer’s death

Nottinghamshire Police and its partner agencies are offering reassurance to the Retford residents following a murder investigation into the death of footballer Jordan Sinnott.

Monday, 27th January 2020, 4:24 pm
Updated Monday, 27th January 2020, 4:45 pm
Jordan Sinnott, 25, died following a serious assault in Retford on Friday night.
Jordan Sinnott, 25, died following a serious assault in Retford on Friday night.

Three people have been arrested on suspicion of murder following the death of the Matlock Town FC’s 25-year-old midfielder after an assault in the town's Market Place in the early hours of Saturday January 25.

A fourth man, aged 27, who was arrested on Saturday, has now been charged with grievous bodily harm and actual bodily harm in connection with a separate assault which is now understood to have taken place after Mr Sinnott was fatally assaulted.

Connor Woodcock, of Beehive Street, Retford, is due to appear before Mansfield Magistrates’ Court on Monday (January 27).

Floral tributes for Jordan Sinnott at Matlock Town Ground.

Inspector Neil Bellamy, District Commander for Bassetlaw, said: "Retford is a historic and thriving Market Town that has a mix of businesses and licensed premises that offer variety to the whole community.

"The Retford Night Time Economy is well managed locally by both Bassetlaw District Council and Police Licensing Officers, and there is a well-attended Pub Watch scheme operating.

"Incidents of violence are very rare in the town and the Night Time Economy, and while the events of this weekend are clearly tragic they are by no means common.

"As the District Commander, I will be working in partnership with the Licensing Team at Bassetlaw District Council to reassure residents of the town and the patrons of businesses and licensed premises.

"Visitors and residents of Retford can be reassured that the investigation in to the events of that night will continue in earnest and the Neighbourhood Policing Team will maintain presence and patrols in the town."

The Chesterfield FC former player died in hospital at just after 7pm on Saturday night, following reports of a serious assault in Retford town centre at about 11.25pm on Friday.

Officers were later called to assist ambulance crews who were attempting to treat Mr Sinnott after he was found unconscious with a suspected fractured skull following a subsequent incident at around 2am in the town’s Market Place.