‘Jealous and paranoid’ Bassetlaw man tried to strangle his ‘terrified’ partner

A "jealous and paranoid" Bassetlaw man threatened to kill his partner and tried to strangle her after accusing her of sleeping with a mutual friend, a court has heard.

Wednesday, 30th March 2022, 8:31 pm

Nathan Grimes grabbed her around the neck and squeezed when they returned to their hotel room in Peterborough while celebrating his birthday, in December, last year.

Prosecutor Syed Ahmed said his "terrified" victim "believed she was going to die" as he banged her head against the wall.

She clawed at his hands and got free, but when she called the front desk, Grimes caused "excruciating pain" prying her fingers from the receiver.

Read the latest stories from Nottingham Crown Court.

When security guards came to the room, she packed her belongings and left, ending the two-and-a-half year relationship.

Mr Ahmed said Grimes, aged 52, continued to harrass her, making more than 40 calls in a single day, and ignored a non-molestation order she obtained from the courts in January.

Nottingham Crown Court heard that Grimes also locked her in the bathroom of a hotel room while celebrating her birthday, in September, last year. He threw her on to the bed and ripped her clothing, forcing her to leave and get a lift home.

In a statement, his victim said she suffers flashbacks to her ordeal and panics when she sees vehicles that look like his. She described the end of the relationship as “my worst nightmare.”

The court heard Grimes "tried to downplay his role" when he was interviewed by probation, and he was cautioned for harassment against the same woman in July 2020.

Anna Soubry, mitigating, said: “He has never been in trouble of this magnitude before. He has been in custody since January 24.

"His time in prison has achieved what you would hope it would achieve. He found the time extremely difficult and quite shocking.

“He is desperately sorry for what he has done and the considerable distress he has caused.”

She said Grimes, a coal merchant, was “hard-working, stable, and well-respected,” but had now “lost his good name in the community.”

Grimes, of Chestnut Way, Tuxford, pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual harm, assault, breaching a court order, and harassment, on January 25.

On Wednesday, Judge John Sampson imposed a 12-month sentence, suspended for two years, with 100 days of alcohol-abstinence monitoring, 20 rehabilitation days, and a five-year restraining order.

Read More

Read More
Nottinghamshire Police warned there is a ‘crisis of confidence’ from women in po...

Message from editor, Sam Jackson: The Worksop Guardian is full of local news, features and sport plus great columnists, puzzles pages and much more. Save up to 20% off the cover price of the Worksop Guardian by taking out a print subscription by clicking here or calling 0330 123 5950 (Mon-Fri 9am-5.30pm)