Hammer-wielding South Yorkshire teenage yob’s ‘chilling’ in prison boast

Lyle Copley
Lyle Copley

A hammer-wielding teenage thug threatened to kill shop staff during a robbery – before boasting about ‘chilling’ in prison after he was caught.

Lyle Copley threatened shop staff with a claw hammer to steal vodka, a can of Tizer and a magazine – worth less than £30.

Lyle Copley

Lyle Copley

The 19-year-old was jailed for 28 months at Sheffield Crown Court for the robbery on July 12 at a store in Rotherham.

He had been in custody after admitting counts of robbery and making threats with an offensive weapon at a previous hearing.

Prior to the court hearing, Copley appeared to boast on Twitter about his time behind bars.

A message on his account from August 12 said: “Oi Oi mans out here chillin in Marshgate, looking at 5 year haha BABY SENTENCE!”

The tweet from Lyle Copley

The tweet from Lyle Copley

Sheffield Crown Court heard Copley, of Pearmain Drive, Maltby, and a friend had gone into Greystones Store on Greystones Road, Rotherham, on a Sunday morning after he had been drinking and taking drugs.

His friend was about to buy a bottle of vodka when Copley grabbed it and walked out the shop.

When the shopkeeper followed him out and demanded it back, Copley hurled a racist insult at him before saying ‘I will kill you’.

He then pulled his T-shirt up to reveal he was carrying a claw hammer.

The shop on Greystones Road in Whiston which was robbed by Lyle Copley

The shop on Greystones Road in Whiston which was robbed by Lyle Copley

Copley was told by the shopkeeper’s wife there were CCTV cameras around the store and left.

The couple who ran the shop still had the cash card of his friend, who had run out the store.

Carl Fitch, prosecuting, said: “Two to three minutes later, the defendant came back into the store apparently having taken heed about the cameras.

“He made a vain attempt to conceal his identify by having taken his black T-shirt off and holding it over the bottom half of his face while still brandishing the hammer and asking for the cash card back.

“He said ‘Give that card to me or I will kill you’. The shopkeeper passed the card over and the defendant still had the hammer above his head. As he was walking out the store he picked up a magazine and a bottle of Tizer.”

Police were called and Copley was arrested later that day after stealing goods worth £29.99.

Anthony Moore, defending, said his client ‘can’t really recall’ what happened on the day due to the amount of drink and other substances the night before.

He said Copley had pleaded guilty to the offences at the first opportunity and wanted to apologise to the shop owners.

Mr Moore said: “It is rather a peculiar set of circumstances.

“This is a young man who behaved in a reprehensible way when heavily in drink and since which time he has given genuine indications of remorse.”

Sentencing, Recorder Simon Hirst said: “I can’t begin to imagine why you did this. But you did and the effect on the shopkeeper and his wife was desperate.”

Copley was jailed for 28 months and also ordered to pay court costs of £1,020.