Bassetlaw man pulled shotgun to settle parking dispute in village

A Bassetlaw man scarred a woman's face when he pulled a double-barrelled shotgun during a parking dispute in their "sleepy village," a court has heard.

Wednesday, 28th April 2021, 3:31 pm
Updated Wednesday, 28th April 2021, 3:31 pm

Alan Muscroft and the couple who lived opposite him on Low Road, Scrooby, had argued about parking for some time, but things came to a head on November 19, two years ago.

After a transit van and a low-loader blocked their driveway for the second time on the same day, the woman confronted Muscroft's partner, said prosecutor Jon Fountain.

When he appeared with the shotgun and pointed it in her direction, she "bravely" wrestled it from him, and sustained the injury during the tussle.

Read the latest stories from Nottingham Crown Court.

She ran to a neighbour's house and police were called. Muscroft fled the scene. His partner showed officers a certificate that proved the gun was decommissioned.

The woman sustained a "through and through" wound to her upper lip and nostril which required ten stitches. In a statement she said she had been left "terrified.”

Read More

Read More
Probe launched after woman 'attacked' by male as she walked dog along Worksop ca...

Nottingham Crown Court heard Muscroft has 22 previous convictions for 37 offences, mainly for drugs, dishonesty and driving matters.

Ed Moss, mitigating, said Muscroft deserved credit for his guilty plea and there had been a long delay since it happened.

"He has clearly demonstrated his ability to rehabilitate in the last 18 months," he said. "He has clearly acted in a foolish and tempestuous way. He is truly remorseful. There was no attempt to injure anyone.

"The CCTV speaks volumes. It clearly wasn't his argument. On at least two occasions the complainant had to be dragged away by her husband.”

Muscroft, 43, now of Winchester Mews, Bircotes, pleaded guilty to possession of an imitation firearm with intent to cause fear of violence.

On Wednesday, Judge Jeremy Lea ruled the sentence could be suspended because he “didn't initiate this confrontation”, “it had been ongoing for some time when he lost it,” and “there has been no repetition.”

He imposed a ten month sentence, suspended for one year, and ordered him to carry out 20 rehabilitation days to address his thinking skills. A restraining order as made until further notice, and the weapon was forfeited and destroyed.

In these confusing and worrying times, local journalism is more vital than ever. Thanks to everyone who helps us ask the questions that matter by taking out a subscription or buying a paper. We stand together. Sam Jackson, editor.