Cindy is our Rose winner
THIS week’s Guardian Rose goes to Langold nan Cindy Riley who helped to save her grandson’s life when he was just weeks old.
Cindy, 45, knew something was seriously wrong when baby Callum took a turn for the worse and rushed him straight to Bassetlaw Hospital.
Doctors later diagnosed him with Strep B - a deadly bacterial infection passed on to newborns in the womb or during delivery.
They said if Callum, now three, had been taken to hospital any later he could have died.
George’s husband Cindy said she was an amazing lady whose efforts deserved to be recognised.
Disruption and flood alerts in Worksop as thunderstorms sweep over town
‘The worst I’ve ever seen’: Worksop residents react to flash flood which blew out canal wall and swamped cars
BREAKING NEWS: Man arrested on suspicion of murder after young woman found dead
Worksop nuisance banned from town centre for abusive language and drinking alcohol
Clowne salon boss shortlisted for Midlands Hairdresser of the Year in HJ’s British Hairdressing Awards
“It’s simple - if she hadn’t done what she did Callum would probably not be here today,” he said.
Callum’s mum Laura Bourne, 23, said she took him to her mum’s house when he became seriously ill - less than two weeks after he was born.
“He was screaming so much - it wasn’t like him at all. I really panicked and didn’t know what to do. You just know when a cry is not right,” she said.
Cindy said she immediately sensed something was wrong and took him to Bassetlaw Hospital, where doctors gave him antibiotics and performed a lumbar puncture on him.
“It was a really horrendous experience. He was screaming so much and couldn’t breathe properly. I went home at 5am and just sat there in tears,” she said.
“The doctor said if he’d been brought in much later he probably wouldn’t be here today.”
Callum had to stay in hospital for 10 days but soon recovered and is now a happy and healthy three-year-old who attends nursery.
His family now want to raise awareness of being tested for Strep-B during pregnancy.
Group B streptococcal infections affect one-in-2,000 babies born every year in the UK and Ireland.
About 340 babies a year will develop group B streptococcal infection within seven days of birth (early group B streptococcus disease).
Said Laura: “You can get tested for it but I was never told about it. My sister fell pregnant soon after me and I made sure she was tested.”
“You have to pay for it, but it’s worth it to avoid going through what we did.”
She added: “Cindy is such a lovely mum and I don’t know where we’d be without her - thanks for everything.”
Said Cindy: “I am really touched to be presented with the Rose. The staff at Bassetlaw Hospital were absolutely fantastic and I only did what any other person would have done for their family.”