Carlton-in-Lindrick: Knifeman jailed after attack left victim on life support on 21st birthday

editorial image

A mother was left heartbroken after a vicious stabbing put her son on a life support machine on his 21st birthday.

The Carlton mum was speaking after the attacker was sentenced to 18 months in prison this week.

Dale Moore, 28, of Lime Tree Avenue, was sentenced at Nottingham Crown Court on Tuesday after being convicted of causing grievous bodily harm with intent at a previous hearing.

Moore’s victim was left fighting for his life with two stab wounds - including a punctured lung - and his chest permanently scarred.

The victim’s mum. who did not want to be named, said: “It is disgusting. He could be out soon and do it again.”

“In my eyes it should have been attempted murder.”

Police were called after reports of a man having sustained a stab wound in Long Lane, Carlton, at around 1.15am on Saturday 26th October 2013.

It followed an earlier disagreement between the victim and Moore at the Sherwood Ranger pub, also in Carlton.

Moore was arrested on 28th October 2013 after handing himself in and appeared at Mansfield Magistrates’ Court a few days later.

“The nurses and surgeon said he was very lucky,” his mum said.

“If it wasn’t for the quick reactions of his friends, nurses and doctors he might not be here.”

“He was on a life support machine for a couple of hours to around a day on his 21st birthday.”

“It was going to be a family occasion.”

Police tracked Moore down after they were made aware he remained in the local area. After a number of days, Moore’s vehicle was traced and he handed himself in.

The victim suffered one laceration; the other a deeper wound resulting in a punctured lung, which caused the victim to be hospitalised for several days.

DC Adrian White, of Notts Police, said: “This case shows that knife crime is an offence that Nottinghamshire Police takes seriously and we will do all we can to bring those responsible for these kinds of assaults before the courts.”

“The assault has had a dramatic impact on the victim, causing him significant injuries which hospitalised him for several days following the attack.”

The victim, now 22, was forced to take a couple of months off work but has returned to his job in construction.

The victim’s mum added: “He has tried to forget it but how can you forget something like that?”

“It was upsetting, it still is.”