This was the sight Doncaster council’s food team were met with when they went to inspect a mice-infested takeaway that was closed down last week.
Droppings were found in the kitchen area of the Asian Spice takeaway in Sandringham Road, Intake where food was being prepared and stored.
A council spokesman told the Free Press that the conditions were found to be so filthy ‘the extent of the pest activity was not known’.
To protect the general public an emergency prohibition order was confirmed by Doncaster Magistrates Court on Tuesday, August 18 2015.
The owner, 43 year old Mokbul Ali of Fitzroy Road, Bradford, was ordered to remove all traces of vermin activity, carry out general structural repairs and to clean all areas of the premises.
The takeaway was allowed to reopen on Thursday. August 20 after officers from the council’s food team were satisfied that the business no longer posed any further risk to the public.
Councillor Chris McGuinness, Cabinet Member for Enforcement, said: “Rodents present a serious risk to health in food premises and it is vital that all Doncaster’s food businesses are kept free of such pests.”
He continued: “Food business owners have a legal duty to keep their premises hygienic and safe for customers.
“Any failure to do so will not be tolerated. Doncaster Council takes strong action to protect the health and wellbeing of residents.”