Bricklayer Tazered after busy night

POLICE used a Tazer gun to calm a Scotter man who turned up at a pub bare chested wielding two wooden batons.

By The Newsroom
Sunday, 8th April 2012, 11:30 am

Elliott Gibby, 24, of Gravel Pit Road, was given a suspended sentence and a curfew tag at Lincoln Magistrates Court last Friday, 30th March.

The court heard how, earlier, at 12.45am on 4th September 2011 Gibby had subjected a group of friends to a threatening attack on their way home from the Sun and Anchor pub in Scotter.

The two men and two women walked past Gibby and his friend at around 12.45am, and Gibby asked Clive Faulkner for a cigarette.

When Mr Faulkner politely declined the pair followed him and Gibby gave a tirade of verbal abuse and threats to ‘beat him up’ and ‘kill him’.

“The defendant knocked the cigarette out of Mr Faulkner’s hand, throwing it back at him,” said David Beale, prosecuting.

When one lady tried calling 999 from her mobile, Gibby snatched it from her and the four fled back to the safety of the pub until the police arrived.

Defending, John Bradley said Gibby had Tourettes syndrome and attention hyperactivity deficit disorder (ADHD).

“One could entirely imagine how members of the public could feel intimidated,” he said.

Gibby admitted threatening behaviour but denied what happened next.

Special Sgt Donna Irving told the court she was dealing with a disturbance outside the pub at around 1.30am when she saw Gibby approaching.

He was bare chested and holding two wooden batons in the air.

“I felt intimidated, it felt aggressive and I feared for my safety and others around me,” she told the court.

After calling for back up, her colleague PC Paul Sandall came outside. Gibby turned and ran, and PC Sandall lost him.

A few minutes later Gibby returned with a shirt on but without the ‘batons’.

Special Sgt Irving said he was wide-eyed and had flushed cheeks. She heard him shout ‘come on’.

Ignoring their repeated requests for him to stop and lay on the floor, he came towards them and PC Sandall drew his Tazer gun.

Gibby said: “Go on, Tazer me,” and kept coming forward. Even when PC Sandall deployed the Tazer Gibby struggled, pulling at the barbs in his chest.

A second Tazer surge calmed him down and the officers arrested him.

Giving evidence, Gibby told the court the so-called wooden batons were tools he used in his bricklaying job.

“I had them because I was going to my mum’s to lay some concrete the next day,” he said.

Mr Bradley said his client had no intention of injuring anyone with them.

But deputy district judge Nigel Richardson told Gibby his behaviour had been ‘atrocious’, first towards members of the public and then the police.

“Your last offence in May 2010 was quite some time ago and in my view that just saves you from custody today,” he said.

He imposed four weeks imprisonment for threatening behaviour, and 12 weeks for having an offensive weapon, suspended for 18 months.

Gibby must also complete a 12 month community order, a tagged curfew from 9pm - 7am for eight weeks and pay £100 court costs.