A ‘devastated’ family is looking for former colleagues of a Worksop man who died in May 2014 from mesothelioma, a cancer caused by asbestos.
Ernest Hurst, aged 82, was diagnosed with mesothelioma in 2013.
Mr Hurst’s widow contends that he was exposed to asbestos while working for the Co-operative as a joiner undertaking shopfitting work at Worksop, Sheffield and Nottingham Co-op premises along with West Burton Power Station. Ernest undertook this work between 1961 and 1963, between 1966 and 1968 and between 1968 and 1975.
He was never warned of the dangers of asbestos and was exposed to asbestos dust without being provided with a mask.
Lawyer Simon Matthews, industrial disease specialist at OH Parsons, has urged people to come forward as witnesses to assist in a compensation claim and says anyone who worked with Ernest may be able to help.
He said: “Ernest’s family has been left devastated by what has happened. It is vital that people who worked with Mr Hurst at any of these premises comes forward in order to give statements about working conditions there.’’
“The risks to health from exposure to asbestos dust have been well known for decades. The company should have been well aware of the risks. Had they taken appropriate safety measures, Ernest and his family would have been spared the effects of this devastating illness.”
Anyone that can help should contact Simon Matthews on 0207 395 8576.