Arsonists still on the loose after fire attack on Worksop gym

A fire-ravaged site has lain dormant for months and arsonists are still at large as a police investigation into a blaze which destroyed a Worksop gym continues.

By The Newsroom
Thursday, 20th April 2017, 9:17 am
Updated Tuesday, 9th May 2017, 8:20 pm
This photo was taken after the fire was extinguished.
This photo was taken after the fire was extinguished.

It took six fire engines from across the region to get the fire under control as it ripped through Unique Fitness on Ryton Street in the early hours of February 13.

Nobody was hurt in the incident as the gym was not yet open for business and the fire was extinguished before it spread to surrounding businesses.

A subsequent investigation by firefighters and police revealed the building had been torched deliberately by arsonists who fled the scene.

Stephen Ashmore, Unique Fitness owner, says his dreams of opening a gym at the site had been “dashed” after the attack.

He said: “The fire broke out just four days before the gym was due to open, so I was completely gutted.

“There have been some nasty comments about it being an insurance job when I didn’t even have insurance.

“A lot of effort from the community had gone into opening a gym on Ryton Street- people wanted it open and I did it for them.

“It’s fortunate that none of us were in the building at the time, God knows what would have happened then.

“I’ll see what happens next- but I won’t be able to open a gym there now.

“The building has been more or less burnt to the ground.

What the future holds for the dormant site, which nearby business owners say is “definitely not nice to look at” is unknown.

Angela Edwards, building control manager at Bassetlaw District Council, said: “In the hours and days immediately after the fire, Bassetlaw District Council’s Building Control department was required to ensure that the structure of the building was safe.

“The Council has now discharged its responsibility and the future safety and use of the building is now the responsibility of the owner.”

The owner of the site was not available for comment.

Police are still investigating the incident and appealing to anyone who saw anything suspicious in the area at the time.

They are particularly keen to speak to two slim built men seen wearing dark clothing and carrying what looked like a holdall at around 2.55am on Newcastle Street.

If you have any information, call 101 quoting incident 61 of 13 February.