A life ban for teacher who attacked pupil with dumbbell

Guardian News
Guardian News

A science teacher who attacked a 14-year-old pupil with a dumbbell has been banned from teaching for life.

Peter Harvey, 51, was permanently struck off at a General Teaching Council (GTC) committee hearing in Birmingham on 29th July.

Mr Harvey was provoked by pupils during a lesson at All Saints Roman Catholic School, Mansfield, in July 2009 when they called him a “psycho”.

He lost control and hit the teenager with the 3kg weight while shouting “die, die, die”. The boy suffered a fractured skull in the incident.

A GTC report stated Mr Harvey accepted he will never be able to teach again.

“There is no doubt that prior to this incident Mr Harvey was a highly respected teacher having taught in the school for 17 years,” read the report.

“He was held in high regard both by the school and the wider community.

“There were issues in Mr Harvey’s personal life and medical reasons which possibly explain, but do not excuse, Mr Harvey‘s behaviour”

The report added: “Mr Harvey’s behaviour is fundamentally incompatible with being a registered teacher and therefore the only appropriate and proportionate sanction is a prohibition order. This order will take effect from today (Friday 29th July).”

Mr Harvey was fired after admitting the attack at All Saints’ Roman Catholic School in Mansfield but was cleared of attempted murder or intending to cause serious harm.

He was given a two-year community order at Nottingham Crown Court in May 2010 after pleading guilty to grievous bodily harm without intent.

The judge described him as “a decent man” but added that he suffered from “depression, stress and a serious lack of confidence”.

It emerged during the four-day trial that pupils were trying to wind up Harvey so his reaction could be caught on a camcorder being used secretly by a girl in the class.

The footage was then to be passed around the school as a way of “humiliating” him.

The married father-of-two was sacked from the school, where he had worked since 1993, for gross misconduct.