Doggy dangers: An unlucky 13 potential garden hazards for dogs

Dog owners have been warned to steer their pets clear of 13 possible dangers in their gardens this spring.

By John Smith
Tuesday, 26th February 2019, 8:00 am
Play time can suddenly cause problems for you and your dog if you're not careful
Play time can suddenly cause problems for you and your dog if you're not careful

From common plants like tomatoes and lilies, to potentially deadly fruit, fertilisers and weed killers, the garden can pose a number of threats to our four-legged friends.

Now, experts from GardenBuildingsDirect.co.uk have highlighted the most common hazards for you to watch out for with your dog in the garden.

Many Brits might be surprised to learn that the stones and pits in apricots, cherries, plums and peaches contain deadly cyanide. Larger stones could be a choking hazard too, whilst the stems and leaves might also be poisonous.
An exposed pond with vulnerable slopes could mean your dog slips, trips or jumps into the water when unattended and lead to all sorts of difficulties.
Tomatoes, potatoes, azaleas and lilies are just some of the common vegetables and flowers that can be deadly to dogs.
Swallowing or even licking many common domestic weed killers could be really risky for dogs and cause breathing or heart problems if enough is consumed.
All dog owners should be well aware that eating chocolate could poison their pet, but garden bedding mulch made from cocoa beans can be dangerous too.
Many typical insecticides and pesticides contain chemicals such as metaldehyde and disulfoton which are a significant threat to dogs, so read the packaging closely and dont buy the product if theres a potential risk.
Many mushrooms are perfectly edible but others can be highly toxic to both dogs and their human owners.
Dogs can catch a dangerous lungworm infection if they accidentally eat a slug or snail that carries the larvae of the parasite.
Some weeds are barbed and meant to burrow into the ground to germinate but this also means they could penetrate a dogs body too and cause internal damage.
Garden compost heaps will usually be packed full of mouldy food and waste, which can produce dangerous mycotoxins which are extremely dangerous to dogs.
All sharp, mechanical and potentially dangerous garden tools or equipment should be securely stored in a shed - a dog could easily injure itself on items left lying around.
Widely available lawn feeds often include ferrous sulphate which has the potential to harm dogs skin and cause gastrointestinal problems or iron poisoning.
A broken backyard fence or collapsed garden wall is a hazard that could fall on to, and hurt, an exploring dog.