Jared runs Wild as trio of locals excel

From left: Jared Wild with his UBC heavyweight belt, Ryan Turner with his Derbyshire belt and young prospect Marcus Ellis

From left: Jared Wild with his UBC heavyweight belt, Ryan Turner with his Derbyshire belt and young prospect Marcus Ellis

Have your say

A trio of local boxers were dominant in recent outings, all in the colours of Chesterfield Amateur Boxing Club.

Youngster Marcus Ellis, in his final skills bout, Ryan Turner and Jared Wild took on boxers from Merridale ABC, Coventry Boys and Huthwaite respectively.

First up was Ellis, who is set to make his competitive debut on 30th May this year.

He was on top in his bout against Mohammed Khan from the off, beating the Merridale boxer to the punch and closing the gap to land big combinations.

Proud dad Steve told the Guardian: “This was Marcus’ last skills bout, he has his first competitive bout in May and he can’t wait to get there.”

“It will be nice for Marcus not to be held back with the skills bouts rules.”

Turner, of Creswell, put in a fantastic performance to claim a knockout win over Daniel Jenkins from Coventry.

In the first round the local fighter closed down his opponent and troubled him with body shots.

Jenkins got on the back foot to try and stay clear of Turner’s power, but the Creswell boxer caught up with him near the end of the round to land a hurtful head-body combination.

The second, and final round, saw a wary Jenkins emerge from his corner, as Turner pursued him.

A massive assault from the man in red knocked his opponent to the canvase and forced a stoppage.

Another Chesterfield ABC boxer, Wild, took on Ellis Machin of Huthwaite ABC for the vacant UBC heavyweight title.

And Wild put on a devastating performance.

In round one the Clowne man jumped on his opponent from the first bell, landing heavy shots and forcing Machin back.

Wild was successful with combinations to body and head, and the referee was forced to intervene with a standing eight count.

Blood streamed down the Huthwaite boxer’s face as he returned to his corner at the end of the round.

Round two saw Wild storm out of his corner, but to Machin’s credit he fought back well with some good shots.

This spurred Wild on, however, giving his opponent two more standing eight counts before the referee had no choice but to stop the title contest.

The TKO victory made Wild the new UBC heavyweight champion, much to the delight of his club.

His first title defence will come early next month.