Worksop Town to part company with Conor Sellars, who has his say on training and Tadcaster absence

Worksop Town v Thackley, pictured is Conor Sellars
Worksop Town v Thackley, pictured is Conor Sellars

Worksop Town have agreed to part company with forward Conor Sellars, who says the withdrawal of a coaching role at the club forced him to go and find work that made attending training impossible.

Sellars came in for criticism from manager Mark Shaw in the wake of Saturday’s defeat by Handsworth, and then failed to show up for last night’s game at Tadcaster.

The NCEL club and the player agreed to part ways this afternoon.

Boss Shaw said in a statement: “I think it’s best for all parties and for us to move forward that he leaves the club.

“I want to thank him for all the hard work he put in last season and wish things had been different this year, but we need fully committed people at the football club.”

Sellars put his side of the story across, explaining his absence from the FA Vase squad: “I spoke with the chairman earlier in the week and told him I didn’t feel, after what’s happened, I would be okay to play, my mind wouldn’t be there.

“I got the group text about the game but I didn’t confirm my availability, and I expected what I said to the chairman to filter through to the manager.”

Sellars sought a private meeting with club chairman Kevin Keep, who has made it his policy not to get involved in playing matters.

While the former Harrogate Town man admits he was contracted to train and play for Tigers, he says a coaching role with Worksop didn’t materialise and the work he found to replace it stopped him from getting to training sessions.

“When I signed my contract last season I agreed to take over the academy team, I could see a big future with Worksop, working with the club.

“I was really looking forward to it, but a week before it was due to start I was told the job wasn’t there anymore so I had to find another job.

“That’s meant I’ve not been able to make training through the week. I love training and being involved, I do my best to keep fit and get to the gym.

“And when I was dropped from the team, I had been training both times that week, but was told I had not done enough – I was one of the top scorers in the league.”

Sellars also disagreed with his manager’s assessment that he wasn’t playing well enough for the club.

“In the last three games of last season I scored five goals, then through pre-season seven in seven, I think I had 16 goals in 15 games from midfield at that point from midfield.

“That’s doing more than my job in midfield.

“It’s up to him to drop me, that’s fair enough, but going to the press and publically attacking me has hurt.

“He’s not pulled me, not mentioned it to me, we’ve not had a proper conversation for the last six months – I don’t know why that is.

“This is the last thing I wanted, but feel I need to protect myself after what’s been said.”

Sellars added his appreciation for the supporters at Sandy Lane, and his regret that things didn’t work out.

“Thanks to the supporters, I’ve loved my time there and they’re great supporters.

“Obviously some things you can’t change, but it’s best that we go our separate ways.

“It’s unfortunate that it’s come to this.”