Sixth league title


Kiverton Park 0

Worksop Titans 5

WORKSOP played two games in four days to clinch their sixth league title, starting away at Kiverton Park.

Titans took the lead after three minutes and got there second 10 minutes later, meaning they went into the break 2-0 to the good.

They found it hard to score and went down to 10 men due to injuries but dug in and got another three goals late on. Scorers Daniel Bennett (3), Macauley Gibbons and Barnaby Phillips.

Their second game saw them run out 3-0 winners against Thorncliffe Colts. Titans needed to win the game to win there sixth title.

Their first goal came in the 45th minute from Thomas Radford. With the wind in their sales, Macauley Gibbons grabbed a second seven minutes later.

And two minutes from time, Sam Hinshelwood got the third to cap off a great team performance from all the boys.

Worksop, Retford & District 4

Mansfield Schools 1

A LOCAL derby brought the season to an end for the for the District. Ordsall provided the venue, the weather was kind which all made for a great game of football.

Mansfield arrived with a large squad and in buoyant mood after reaching the County Cup final. The visitors started well and looked comfortable putting the home side under pressure.

Ben Jones had to be at his best to keep Mansfield at bay but he had little chance of stopping a powerful 20-yard drive which nestled gave the away side the lead.

They started the second half in the same mood but the pairing of Micheal Edwards and captain Daniel Smalley, ably assisted by Ewan Robson and Ewan Pickersgill stood firm. In only his second game for the District, Calvin Chee chased down the Mansfield keeper whose attempted clearance hit Chee and ended up in the Mansfield net.

The game then became the Calvin Chee show, his power and pace upset the Mansfield defence, who had no answer to his strength.

A further three goals from Chee saw the District sail into a comfortable lead.


Worksop Boys Club 3

Rawmarsh St Josephs 2

Boys Club deservedly took the three points from this keenly contested match. Adam Guirdham put Boys Club into the lead after 15 minutes as both he and Ben Buckley created chances, along with Vishnu Sathiyanathan who hit the cross bar.

Rawmarsh came back into the game and went into half time 2-1 up against the run of play, taking the lead on the stroke of half time.

But this gave Boys Club the resolve to put in a strong second half display as they created chance after chance, halfway through the second half Will Gray forced the ball over the line as Boys Club hit the crossbar again and the Rawmarsh defence held on. With 10 minutes to go Sathiyanathan scored to seal the win to cap a great team performance.


Worksop Town 3

Stocksbridge Park Steels 2

In a tight game Tigers made it through to the semi-final of the county cup.

In what turned out to be a tense game the young Tigers found themselves a goal behind, but a wonder strike from Sebastian Menzhausen soon brought the home side level.

Christian Beaumont and Reagan Langley were solid at the back halting any thing that the visitors threw at them.

Their second came soon after with Beau Sisson long range boot down field. The bounce deceived the opposing goalkeeper and nestled in the net to make the score 2-1.

A good ball from Christian Beaumont put in Marley Staveley who saw his shot well saved.

Menzhausen was running the midfield and it soon became 3-1 when a great shot from Tom McIntosh flew into the top corner.

The second half began with Liam Fox firing a shot from distance which was well saved. It was then the turn of Tristan O’ Fee to try his luck again to be thwarted by the keeper.

After conceding a goal the home team had to see off wave after wave of attacks from Stocksbridge but the defence and goalkeeper stood firm.


Worksop Town 4

Crosspool Juniors 3

Worksop Town Girls continued their recent good form with a victory over Crosspool.

Elle Dolby ran the Crosspool defence ragged all match and put the home side in front after just two minutes, from then on the girls never looked back. She added a second on 13 minutes as they dominated in hot conditions, Bethan Dennis, Britney Oakden and Megan Edwards all worked tirelessly in midfield.

Crosspool managed to get a goal back just before half time. Megan curled the third in from the corner of the box before Elle bagged her hat-trick midway through the half. Two late goals gave the away team hope, but Worksop held out.