Sheffield Wednesday: Owls ready to ring the changes in Cambridge Cup clash

Lucas Joao

Lucas Joao

6
Have your say

His team reached the quarter-finals of the League Cup in 2015 - but Wednesday chief Carlos Carvalhal readily admits their priorities lie elsewhere this season.

Carvalhal has indicated he will make wholesale changes to his Owls team for Tuesday’s clash against Cambridge United in the first round of the EFL Cup.

Joe Wildsmith, Liam Palmer, Jose Semedo, Modou Sougou, Filipe Melo, Jeremy Helan, Lucas Joao and Atdhe Nuhiu could all be handed starts. It will be an opportunity for them to prove to Carvalhal that they warrant more regular game time.

And it is not beyond the realms of possibility that youngsters Jack Lee, Connor O’Grady, Sean Clare, Jack Stobbs and George Hirst may also be involved as Carvalhal plans on resting his senior stars who excelled against Aston Villa just over 24 hours ago.

Although he is likely to field an under-strength side tonight, Carvalhal expects his players to give a good account of themselves.

He told The Star: “Of course, we will try to win on Tuesday. We will take the game seriously. I will try to win the game with the players from the squad who didn’t play against Villa.

“It will change but we don’t have a squad at the moment to play in two or three competitions.

“It [EFL Cup] is not our main competition.”

READ MORE

Sheffield Wednesday: Deiphon Chansiri convinced Tom Lees to sign new deal

Sheffield Wednesday: New addition: Will Buckley set for Owls bow

Sheffield Wednesday: Atdhe Nuhiu staying grounded after Owls victory

Sheffield Wednesday: Keiren Westwood deserved his contract extension says Owls chief

Carvalhal has bemoaned the schedule, claiming it is “not good for the competition” that Wednesday are having to play twice in the space of three days.

He said: “I don’t understand why we play Sunday and then Tuesday. It is very stange.

“Nobody will recover between Sunday and Tuesday. It is impossible.

“The players who competed against Villa will not be ready to compete on Tuesday.

“The players played a very intense 90 minutes. They are all completely dead. They are not supermen.

“With the squad that I have, if I put players in on Tuesday who played against Villa, maybe we lose them for one month or two and after that we have problems. I will not take risks.”

Carvalhal is desperate to strengthen his squad before the transfer window closes at the end of the month. He has so far brought in five new additions.

“We are not complete yet,” he said. “We have a very limited squad. We are waiting for two or three players.”

Follow Dom Howson on twitter