WORKSOP Town boss Simon Clark hopes striker Massiah McDonald will stay at the club, after speculation on social networking sites that he wanted to leave.
Rumours of a break down in the relationship between the former Carlton Town front man and the management team at Worksop surfaced after Saturday’s trip to Gainsborough.
But after talks on Monday night following a training session, Clark says McDonald – under contract – will remain a Tiger, at least for now.
“We had a chat with him and talked through the situation and what’s been said,” said Clark.
“He’s okay, we’re going to try and work something through and get him playing well.”
“Hopefully (he will stay) – if he’s playing well he’s an asset for the football club.”
The youngster confirmed on his Twitter page – previously a source of contention for the club – that he wasn’t departing.
“(I) was considering leaving or getting a loan move, spoke with management tonight (I) am going to give it another two to three weeks, see how it goes,” he posted.
“Thanks to all the fans who showed their support and realised it wasn’t just me but more things were going on behind the scenes that I wasn’t happy with.”
Clark warned the striker about his conduct on social networking sites last season when McDonald made clear his discontent at being relegated to the bench and played out of position.
Criticism of a signing made by the club also appeared on McDonald’s Twitter account this summer.
Since signing from Carlton McDonald has played 44 games and scored 12 times for Worksop Town.