Worksop murder probe update: Police chief says public not at risk after ‘murder’

Chief Superintendent Paul Anderson gives a press conference outside Worksop Police station following an assault on Bridge Street in which a man died
Chief Superintendent Paul Anderson gives a press conference outside Worksop Police station following an assault on Bridge Street in which a man died

Extra police will patrol Worksop town centre tonight as a murder investigation continues.

Chief Supt Paul Anderson of Notts Police told a press conference this afternoon that he did not believe there was any further risk to residents.

But extra officers have been drafted in to provide public reassurance after a 40-year-old man died on Saturday night (6th April).

He has not yet been formally identified, but four teenage boys are now in police custody on suspicion of ‘murder’.

“At approximately 7.30pm last night in Bridge Street, Worksop, there was an incident where a male was assaulted,” Chief Supt Anderson told media gathered outside Worksop Police Station.

“He sustained injuries as a result of that assault and subsequently died.”

It is not yet clear how the man died. But details should become clearer after a post mortem - expected to be carried out on Monday or Tuesday.

And until then Chief Supt Anderson declined to comment on whether a weapon had been involved, despite rumours in the town that the man was stabbed.

He said: “Notts Police have dedicated a number of investigative resources to the inquiry. It is a very serious inquiry where a man has died, and we are treating it at this time as a murder inquiry.”

He appealed to members of the public who were in the area at the time, who may have seen a group of youths, possibly a mixed group of girls and boys.

“We believe there were a number of people around in Worksop Town Centre at this time, and a number have come forward and given statements as witnesses,” he continued.

“However, we believe there would be further persons who would have seen a group of about six males or females wandering around. And we want to hear from them.”

Chief Supt Anderson concluded by reassuring the public.

“I can reassure the Worksop community, and the wider community, that we are taking this very seriously,” he said.

“Additional patrols and additional officers have been placed in the town centre tonight.”

“However, we have made several arrests at a very early stage and we are confident these are directly related to the inquiry.”

“We don’t believe there is any risk to the residents of this town.”

A police cordon is still in place along the pedestrianised area of Bridge Street, including the Dorothy Perkins / Burton, Timpson and Specsavers shops.

• If you saw the incident or have any information call Notts Police on 101, quoting incident 771 of 6th April 2013, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

• Check back here for updates as they come in

• See www.worksopguardian.co.uk for a video of this afternoon’s press conference