DCSIMG

Video: Tesco store build halted while path rebuilt across vacant site

Waiting for Video...
 

Tesco will put back a footpath which used to run across its Carlton Road development site, while the Government decides the fate of its long running supermarket plan.

Tesco will put back a footpath which used to run across its Carlton Road development site, while the Government decides the fate of its long running supermarket plan.

Proposals for a new superstore on the derelict site hang in the balance while the Secretary of State for planning, Eric Pickles, looks a rights of way issue.

The issue is whether a footpath diversion order made by Bassetlaw Council was lawful.

As things stand, construction work can not begin because the superstore would cut off two footpaths, one of which runs across the middle of the site.

But despite Tesco applying to Bassetlaw Council to divert the path around the store perimeter, ‘unresolvable’ objections were raised during the public consultation stage, causing the order to be hauled before the Secretary of State.

“We are working hard to bring a new store to Worksop so we can give local customers the very best shopping experience,” said a Tesco spokesman. “However, in order to build our new store we need the Secretary of State to confirm an order made by Bassetlaw Council to divert a footpath that runs through the middle of the site.”

“We had temporarily closed the footpath for the safety of the public while we carried out initial works on the store, but we have decided to reopen the it for the benefit of the local community while the decisionis made.”

The company said this could take ‘some time’ and that construction of the new path would take around six weeks starting Monday 14th April.

Meanwhile an ongoing campaign by residents against Tesco’s plans to build a huge superstore on their doorsteps seems to have taken a step towards victory.

But residents are cautious, despite Tesco now rebuilding one of the footpaths it previously wiped away.

One resident who objected to the diversion is Stuart Hunt from South Parade. “It’s not a victory at this stage,” he said.

“My objection the whole way along has been based on the safety of the public. I’m dead set against people having to walk across the front of a supermarket and through the car park to get where they need to go.”

“These will include a lot of young kids and elderly people. We all know what it’s like in supermarket car parks - it’s each man for himself.”

“If this goes through we will have been let down by the people meant to be looking out for our interests.”

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page

 

X scottish independence image

Keep up-to-date with all the latest Referendum news