The Victoria Cottage Hospital, known now as Bassetlaw District General Hospital, was named to celebrate the 60th anniversary of Queen Victoria’s coronation.
When it first opened to patients on 24th May 1900, it was merely a five-bed hospital staffed by just a house surgeon, two honorary surgeons, a matron and three probationer nurses.
Within a year of opening, it tended to 59 patients and after 30 years, this had increased to 812.
In November 1912, a new men’s ward and a children’s ward were opened, which were funded by Sir John Robinson of Worksop Manor.
The Memorial Wing of the Victoria Hospital was opened in 1925, containing a memorial stone in the central pediment which paid respect to local men who lost their lives in the First World War.
When the hosptial was later demolished, the memorial stone was saved and relocated to the library grounds on Memorial Avenue.
In 1930, the operating theatre was opened as part of the Memorial Wing extension. It included a new operating table that had been presented to the hospital in July 1922, which had been funded by public subscriptions.
Hospital Sundays were introduced in order to raise money for funding the local hospitals. In 1907, two thirds of the proceeds went to the Victoria Hospital, which became part of the NHS is 1948.
The demolition of the hospital started in 1996 and the site is now occupied by a carpet shop, a funiture store, a supermarket and a car park.
The foundation stone for Kilton Hospital, now Bassetlaw hospital, was laid in 1902 and was known as Worksop’s Poor Law Infirmary. The first phase of the new Bassetlaw hospital was opened on the same site in 1984.