Worksop College’s history began in 1890 when construction began on what was originally named St Cuthbert’s College with the sinking of a well and laying of a foundation stone.
Esstablished by the Woodward Foundation, St Cuthbert’s College would be the last school to be personally opened by Nathaniel Woodward himself on 5th September, 1895.
The land on which the school was built and the now tree-lined drive, were donated by the Duke of Portland.
In the beginning, buildings were scarce, with only the Great Hall and East Wing complete, while a temporary chapel was also in place.
St Cuthbert’s chapel which stands today, was opened in 1909 after Lord Mountgarret made funds available.
Mountgarret did not live to see the finished building and the new building was opened by Lady Mountgarret in 1909.
St Cuthbert’s College was renamed the Worksop College in 1925 by Fred Shirley during his time as headmaster.
The Great Hall, East Wing and chapel remain as fine landmarks of the College today.
The College is currently split into eight houses after Mountgarret (formerly known as Lion) closed in 1993.
The boys houses are Mason, Pelham, Talbot, Portland and Shirley, while the girls houses are Derry, Gibbs and School.
Mason, Pelham and Talbot were resepctively named Cross, Fleur de Leys and Crown when they first opened.
As well as academic excellence, the College is known for its sporting prowess, notably at athletics, as well as hockey and rugby, and the famous Dorm Run which, up until the 1950s, was always run on Shrove Tuesday.