Work began on sinking the shaft in 1913, when the Northern Union Mining Company was set up.
This was with an investment in German equipment and men.
But with the start of the First World War the German workers were interned and the company’s assets were impounded by the Government.
Later in 1917 the pit was bought by Messrs. Barber, Walker & Co. for £80,100.
The first real sinking of the shafts started in 1921. Water problems were overcome with the solidification of the ground with liquid cement grout.
In October 1923 the shaft sinkers eventually reached the Barnsley seam at 848 metres although there were problems with underground faults.
The second shaft also reached the Barnsley seam in November 1923. In 1924 the colliery was connected with a 4.2 km railway line to connect with the LNER-owned East coast main line.
The ECML became very congested and a connection the South Yorkshire Joint Railway was considered.
A triangle junction would lead to another triangle junction near Styrrup with lines going to Harworth and another going through Oldcotes and Langold to reach Firbeck.
The opportunity was taken by the new owners on the SYJR to build the line to connect both collieries and to stop congestion was completed in 1928.
There were also several Coke ovens at Harworth, and like Maltby Main Colliery it was decided to modernise the pit in the 1950s, rebuilding with the concrete headgears began in the late 1950s.
These structures were replaced in 1989 (no.1 shaft) and 1996 (no.2 shaft).
Today, the mine remains mothballed.