Notts Fire and Rescue Service is urging householders to take extra precautions with wood burning stoves, following a sharp rise in the number of fires relating to their installation and maintenance.
Last year 17 house fires were attributed to wood burning stoves and chimneys – 10 more than in 2012. In 2011, just three fires involving wood burners or chimneys were attended by firefighters, with four in 2010.
Common problems include wood burners not being installed by a registered or competent engineer, logs being stored too close to the stove and fires not being extinguished properly at night. Faulty appliances, poor ventilation and incorrect fuel are also contributing factors.