Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue Service is urging people to stay safe in their homes over the festive period with its Fire Safe at Christmas campaign.
According to the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, around 80,000 people suffer accidents and injuries in their homes.
You are 50 per cent more likely to die in an accidental house fire during the festive period than any other time of the year. Often these accidents happen while putting up decorations or as a result of faulty fairy lights and unattended candles.
Debbie Robinson, community fire and safety manager at Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “Don’t put yourself, your family or friends in danger this Christmas.”
The top tips for keeping safe this festive period are test your smoke alarm - make sure you and your family have working smoke alarms and test them regularly.
Have an escape plan. Make sure family and visitors know how to escape in an emergency and keep emergency exits clear.
Check your Christmas tree lights. A burning Christmas tree can rapidly fill a room with fire and deadly gases, so check your Christmas tree lights carry the British Safety Standard marque. When going to bed or going out for the evening, make sure you turn off and unplug your Christmas tree lights and outdoor festive lights.
Make sure your electrical sockets aren’t overloaded with too many high voltage plugs.
Don’t leave pans unattended. Kitchens are one of the most likely places in the home for a fire to start. With family and friends around and the alcohol flowing, people can become distracted.
And take care with candles - don’t leave them unattended.