A FAMILY had a lucky escape during a blaze at their home near Worksop.
A man, a woman and two teenage boys were woken by their dogs barking just before 4am on Saturday 9th February.
Fire had broken out in the porch of their cottage on the A614 Blyth Road at Perlethorpe, near Thoresby.
Watch manager Terry Rose, from Worksop Fire Station described how the flames had burned through the front door and smoke had started to infiltrate the house.
“All the occupants were out by the time we arrived. They had been woken by their dogs barking and managed to escape through the back of the house,” he said.
“It was a really lucky escape. There were three smoke alarms fitted in the property but none were working because the batteries had been taken out.”
Crews from Edwinstowe and Worksop fire stations tackled the blaze and cleared the property of smoke.
No-one was hurt and ambulance assistance was not needed.
Mr Rose said: “This should serve as a stark reminder to everyone to ensure they have working smoke alarms fitted in their properties.”
“In this case the occupants were lucky that their dogs alerted them to the fire. But it could have been a different story.”