Eight foot Boa Constrictor rescued from gas fire

Billy the Boa Constrictor was trapped in a gas fire. Photo from @GainsboroughFRS

Billy the Boa Constrictor was trapped in a gas fire. Photo from @GainsboroughFRS

0
Have your say

Gainsborough Fire and Rescue were called to an unusual animal rescue in the early hours of this morning (Tuesday, June 28) after an eight foot long snake became trapped in a gas fire.

The crews were called to the house in Wall Street, Gainsborough, at 3am to what they thought was a snake which had gotten stuck behind the fire place.

However when they got there the Boa Constrictor, named Billy, had gotten trapped inside the fire itself.

Dave Brierley, Crew Manager for Gainsborough Fire and Rescue, said: “We assumed it was a snake trapped behind a fire and we would just need to coax it out. But when we got there we saw it was actually trapped in the fire.

“It had crawled in and got snuck in the various nooks and crannies. Around 5ft of the snake was in the fire.

“It had been trying to get itself out and was damaging its scales.

“We disconnected the gas supply and dismantled the fire to get to it.

“After we established it wasn’t poisonous we were happy to get hands on.

“You could say this call out will go down in history.

“We recommended the owner call the vet just because of the slight damage to the skin but we have been back and the snake is back in its enclosure. It was a little bit reserved but it’s fine.”