Boy racer ‘car cruising’ ban successful Notts

editorial image

A ban on boy racers from car cruising in three areas in Nottinghamshire is proving to be a success.

The injunction order bans boy racers from a range of car cruising activity in Chilwell Retail Park, Victoria Retail Park in Netherfield and the area surrounding junction 27 of the M1.

The order was secured in January 2015 by Nottinghamshire Police and Nottinghamshire County Council.

Since then, there have been no public complaints and just one gathering at the M1 junction 27 location investigated in the last six months.

In June, more than 50 drivers were stopped by Police during an operation, with a handful given a final warning that their details were being recorded and they faced charges if they were found to be in breach of the injunction in the future.

Councillor Alice Grice, vice-chair of the community safety committee at the county council, said: “We are very pleased that the injunction order is working well to deter car cruising which is not only anti-social for nearby residents and businesses but also dangerous for those taking part and other road-users. The injunction order provides significant, extra powers to the police to curb the ‘boy racers’.

“People who behave and drive recklessly in these locations in the future should be left in no doubt they face the genuine possibility of a prison sentence if they continue to behave in a way which is dangerous, intimidating and distressing to local people and road users.”

Racing, riding in convoy, driving at excessive speed and drifting are all actions which would breach the ban.

Anyone found to be doing these things will be issued with an explanatory notice in writing, warning if they take part in car cruising activity in the areas identified they will be in contempt of court and may be sent to prison.

Contempt of court carries a maximum two-year jail sentence and/or an unlimited fine.

Sergeant Simon Scales, from Nottinghamshire Police, said: “There have been no complaints from the public and there was just one occasion when a group of vehicles with no tread on tyres were on the industrial estate roundabout at junction 27 when we stopped them.

“The motorists in questions were served with documents to say an injunction order was in place and they have apologised and not returned.

“These powers are working very well but it is still well worth reminding everyone these powers are in place to deter similar activity.”

There have been no other reports of incidents at either the Chilwell or Netherfield locations in recent months.

Nottinghamshire Police has historically put considerable resources into tackling boy racer activity through increased patrols, special operations, the use of CCTV and ANPR cameras and dispersal powers.

The Victoria Retail Park injunction is an extension to an existing order, which has been in place since March 2012.

Prior to the injunction, up to 200 vehicles and spectators were known to congregate for regular Sunday night meet-ups.

The gatherings, which often lasted late into the night, caused misery for local residents, retail park customers and businesses.