Aughton Methodist Church was built in 1843 on Main Street, Aughton and a new schoolroom and kitchen were added in 1910 at a cost of £450.
In 1912, Main Street was widened and the church lost half of its forecourt. They received £60 for the lost land. In 1930 electricity was installed at a cost of £10 and an organ was bought for £40 by members and friends. In its centenary year in 1943 it was reported that the chapel was “hale and hearty”, and at Christmas, Whitsuntide and Harvest-time, it was full with both members and villagers. But in 1953 the chapel closed as a place of worship, although it continued to be used for social functions, including youth clubs and sports clubs. In 1976/77 the building was put up for sale by the church and various building contractors bid with a view to demolishing the chapel and building bungalows on the site. However a preservation order was won and it became a Grade II listed building. In 1977, Mr Hanstock bought the chapel and made it his family home.
The photograph shows a group of Aughton villagers and standing in the centre (in front of the door) is Mr Henry Johnson, who was a blacksmith in Aughton and also a Methodist local preacher.
Ann Key, Aston-cum-Aughton History Group