Those Were The Days

editorial image

Twin Towers of the Priory

The twin towers of the Priory Church of St Mary and St Cuthbert hold centre stage in this picture of the Canch. Founded in 1103 by William de Lovetot, Lord of the Manor of Worksop, St Mary was a later addition. The Augustine monks who lived here grew liquorice, which lasted locally for centuries after the monastery had been dissolved.