The first Post Office in Swallownest opened in June 1889
in this building on the corner of Rotherham Road and Park Street and was run by David Peters, a greengrocer.
In 1910, William Cole was the postmaster and the post office had moved down the road, to number 41 at the corner of Park Street opposite the present Co-operative Society car park. We are not sure what happened after that but we know that in 1946 there was no post office in Swallownest. In July 1948, the Sheffield Telegraph reported that Swallownest had not had a central post box since the post office closed two years ago. A petition of nearly 400 signatures was raised asking for a post box and a letter was sent to the Sheffield Postmaster. This petition must have succeeded because by 1949 a post office opened in the row of shops on Park Hill, run by Norman and Clarice Walker.
In 1957, Mr and Mrs Walker moved the post office to new premises on Manvers Road, where it remained until it closed a few years ago and again, Swallownest has no post office.
Ann Key Secretary, Aston-cum-Aughton History Group