Dedication of Priory’s lady chapel

Congregation returning from the Lady Chapel
Congregation returning from the Lady Chapel

THIS week’s Archive Corner picture comes from the dedication ceremony of the Lady Chapel at Worksop Priory 1922.

This photo is of the congregation returning from the Lady Chapel.

The gentleman carrying the straw boater is Sgt William Henry Johnson VC, a former Manton miner who served with the Sherwood Foresters.

He was honoured for exceptional gallantry and devotion to duty during the war and was awarded the Victoria Cross.

On this occasion he was representing the British Legion.

The 13th century Lady Chapel was restored as an act of thanksgiving to God and in memory of the men from the town and parish who lost their lives in the Great War.

There was such a large congregation that admission to the service was by ticket only.

The Duke and Duchess of Newcastle attended the service, whilst crowds gathered outside to watch the procession from the Lady Chapel.

The procession was led by a cross bearer followed by the Lord Bishop of Southwell, then Canon D’Arcy, Vicar of Worksop Priory, and the Bishop of Derby.

The Lord Bishop of Southwell conducted the consecration of the altar and dedication of the chapel.

If you have any old photos to share with our readers please get in touch.